Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Making Fire Starters from Partially Used Candles

We like to reuse things around here and get as much use out of something that we can. I was getting tired of all of the mostly-used-up candles sitting in my way so I finally got around to making some fire starters.


We have an old muffin tin that we use just for making fire starters. I filled the tins with pine shavings.

Next, I got just a little bit of water hot. Just enough to sit the candle down in. 

As the wax started to melt, I could get it out of the container. Don't get the wax too hot at this point, since you will need to get the little metal piece and what's left of the wick out.

Then I melted the wax.

Pour the melted wax over the shavings in the pan. You can fill these as much or as little as you want to.

I then put more shavings on top and pressed a little. You want some of the shavings to stick in the wax but still be sticking out. (Be careful you don't get burned.)
Let the wax cool and pop them out of the tin. I cut these in fourths. When you need to start a fire, put one or two pieces under your kindling. The pine shavings will help hold the flame, melting the wax and help the fire get a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and comments. Just be nice or your comments will be deleted. We raise our rabbits for meat. If this bothers you, please feel free to get off the site.