Monday, April 11, 2016

Broody Hens

I have two hens that are trying to go broody. The one Black Laced Golden Wyandotte is the one that "grumbles" at me every time I go out to check for eggs. Usually I just reach under her and grab the eggs anyway. The second hen, a Buff Orpington,  just started sitting on the "community" nest that a lot of the hens like to use. I've noticed her doing it just the last few days. I took them both and put them in their own pen to keep them off the eggs. I don't want any of them going broody right now since they all have just really kicked in laying. We don't need any chicks right now either. This will also let me know if they are laying or not. I really don't think we've had an egg from the Wyandotte for a long time. The Buff, I think she's still laying. If she's not, she should snap back fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and comments. Just be nice or your comments will be deleted. We raise our rabbits for meat. If this bothers you, please feel free to get off the site.