Friday, July 26, 2013

I currently am taking a break. Busy morning so far. I have 6 quarts of rabbit in the pressure canner and 3 quarts of tomatoes in the water bath canner. I haven't even done chores yet, which I am quite sure the rabbits are NOT happy about! As soon as the canners are done, I'll get right to that.

We are in the process of making plans to build some shelves downstairs in the laundry room for the canned food. It will be basically floor to ceiling shelves that go from one doorway to the other. Should hold lots of jars:) I have run out of room upstairs for the food. I guess that's really good though. Shows there's lots of food!

The tomatoes are coming on nicely. The Porters are producing nice fruit, as well as the Big Reds. First impressions of the Porters with canning them, they are nice little tomatoes to work with. They work up quickly and stay together instead of turning to mush like the Big Reds.(by the time the skins split on the Big Reds, they've cooked a little more than I would like them to)

The other day, I bought some chicken quarters and got them canned. They look good, except that you can still see some fat deposits in the jar. Comparing to the rabbit jars that have NO fat deposits, I am a little disappointed. I know I cut the fat off, it just seemed to make some of it's own anyway. I don't like to see fat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and comments. Just be nice or your comments will be deleted. We raise our rabbits for meat. If this bothers you, please feel free to get off the site.