Thursday, March 24, 2016

New at the Farm

New here at the farm this year is Quail. We recently purchased 18 quail to see how we like raising them. While researching the benefits of the eggs, we learned that they are supposed to help with your HDL or good cholesterol. Dewayne has a problem with his, so that's enough for me to want to try them.
So far, we are still trying to figure out the best way of housing them. We have some stacking rabbit cages that we're not using so we tried them in the barn. That did not work! Quail are very messy. I don't need something else to do every day, so outside to the extra rabbit hutches they went.
So far, I think I like this set up better. We are having a terrible time trying to find the right food though. You would think game bird feed would be at every feed store with every other kind of feed. There are 17 different kinds of layer chicken feed but no game bird except for a tiny little bag of it. That would last about a day.
Right now they are on meat bird feed. I'll see how they do on that until I can find the other. They have laid a few eggs, but we haven't tried them yet. I plan to hard boil them this weekend when I fix the Easter eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and comments. Just be nice or your comments will be deleted. We raise our rabbits for meat. If this bothers you, please feel free to get off the site.